This is from The History And Development of Sherbrooke In Guysborough County, Nova Scotia by Phyllis Blakeley (1969).
The end of the Seven Years' War brought wholesale speculation in land granting to the eastern part of North America, and hundreds of thousands of acres in Nova Scotia were given away to land companies, British noblemen, military and naval officers, adventurers, Nova Scotian officials and merchants. On October 31st, 1765, one hundred and fifty thousand acres in the vicinity of Sherbrooke was granted to Jonathan Binney, Benjamin Green Sr., Alexander McNutt, James Lyon, Arthur Vance, John Dennis, Thomas Brown and James Fulton.
Jonathan Binney had come to Halifax from Massachusetts to carry on the activity of a merchant, had been elected as a member of the first Assembly in 1758, and was appointed to the council in 1764. Benjamin Green was another New England merchant who had settled at Halifax, and he was Deputy Treasurer of the province from 1761 to 1768, and Treasurer from 1768 until his death in 1793. In the process of his activities as a merchant and in his duties as Collector of Customs at Canso, Binney was well aware of the value of the fisheries off the coast, and of the salmon fisheries in the St. Mary's River. There was no attempt to open up the country or to cultivate the land. Indeed, the boundaries of the grant were not surveyed! In 1784 a large part of this grant was escheated because of failure to comply with conditions of settlement to provide land for the thousands of Loyalists who poured into Nova Scotia after the end of the American Revolution. Along this part of the Atlantic coast the country was rocky and sterile, and those who came to live there had to depend upon the fisheries and the forest.
© Jo Edkins 2008 - Return to Binney index