History of 102 Gwydir Street

Mrs Brinter lived in 102 Gwydir St in 1904 (see Spalding's Directory).

Mrs Clark lived there in 1913 (see Spalding's Directory).

Sandra who used to live at number 102 remembered the Dewdrop Inn (now the Cambridge Blue). See the Cambridge Blue history for more details.

The following record was made by the owner of 102 Gwydir St in 2003 from the house deeds.

17th December 1867 Richard John Geldart, Jospeh Sturton and William Richard Sumpter parcel up a field off Mill Road into lots. Lot 7 is sold for £140 to Thomas Blewett, Engineer.
Between 1867 and 1891 Thomas Blewett builds seven houses on the plot, being numbers 102, 104, 106, 108, 110, 112 and 114 Gwydir Street.
14th November 1892 Thomas Blewett dies, leaving the properties to his daughter Catherine Anne Blewett of Kensington, London, and the rental income for life to his wife Elizabeth Blewett who dies on 26th February 1895.
1904 Mrs Brinter living in 102 Gwydir St (from Spaldings directory).
31st December 1912 Alfred Cook of 174 Gwydir Street purchases the ‘messuage and hereditaments’ of 102 Gwydir Street from Catherine Anne Blewett for £230.
1913 Mrs Clark is in 1913 Spaldings directory as living at 102 Gwydir Street.
17th August 1928 Emma Cook (Alfred’s widow since his death on 16th March 1928 and still at 147 Gwydir Street) sells 102 Gwydir Street to the then tenants, Florence and Francis Gray for £235.
9th October 1956 Arthur Frederick Hewitt of 50 East Road Cambridge purchases 102 Gwydir Street from Florence Gray for £1200. £550 of the purchase price came from his wife Mrs Dorothy Priscilla Hewitt (dowry?) and the balance from a mortgage with the Co-Operative Permanent Building Society (£650 at 5½ %) with fixed monthly repayments of £5 8s 4d (£5.43 - in effect a 15 year mortgage).
17th May 1978 Arthur Frederick Hewitt dies.
24th August 1987 Dorothy Priscilla Hewitt dies.
17th March 1988 102 Gwydir Street sold for £62,000 by Mrs Hewitt’s executors to present owners.

Return to History of Gwydir Street

Return to Homepage