History of 137 Gwydir Street (Fitzroy Cottage)
William Thomas Harper, plumber, lived in 137 Gwydir St in 1892 (see Spaldings directory)
Abraham Butcher, painter & decorator (or builder), lived here in 1904 (see Spaldings directory), 1913 (see Spaldings directory) and 1916 (see kelly's directory).
Ethel Mary Beatrice King lived in 137 Gwydir St (or Fitzroy Cottage) when she was young. She was born there shortly after the 1881 census, which shows the rest of her family.
|1881 Census for 137 Gwydir St. (Fitzroy Cottage)|
|Charles Alfred KING||Head||M||Male||30||Cambridge, England||Solicitor's Clerk|
|Selina Sophie KING (nee Wheaton)||Wife||M||Female||26||Cambridge, England|
|Louie Selina KING||Daur.||U||Female||3||Cambridge, England|
|Mary Jane NEWMAN||Servant||U||Female||14||Horningsea, Cambridge, England ||Domestic Servant|
By 1901 they had moved to 12 Church Street (now called Christchurch Street).
They also had a son in 1887, Charles Edward King.
Charles Alfred King's father is listed as a Brewer on his birth
certificate - he was born in Fitzroy Street in a part now under the Grafton centre.
Charles Alfred died in 1892 at about 41 years.
This record was made by Philip Maddocks (grandson of Ethel) in 2006.
Perhaps Charles Alfred King renamed 137 Gwydir Street as Fitzroy Cottage as he was born in Fitzroy Street.
Another option is that his father ran the Fitzroy Arms.
Return to History of Gwydir Street
Return to Homepage