History of 167 Gwydir Street (Bahia Cottage)

John Kent and Sons, slater and tilers, lived in 167 Gwydir St in 1904 (see Spalding's Directory), 1913 (see Spalding's Directory) and 1916 (see Kelly's Directory). Miss Ruth Kent, dress maker, also lived here in 1913 and 1916.

Short Street Wesleyan Methodist War Memorial lists Albert James Kent, Private 26051, 9th Battalion, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. Killed in action 3 September 1916. Born and enlisted Cambridge. Formerly 26295, Bedfordshire Regiment. Birth registered in the April to June Quarter 1891 in the Cambridge Registration District. In the 1891 census he was the son of John and Mary A Kent, under the age of 1, born Cambridge, resident Gwydir Street, Cambridge. In the 1901 census he was the son of John and Marianne Kent, aged 10, born Cambridgeshire, resident with his parents at 167 Gwydir Street, Cambridge. In the 1911 census he was the son of John and Mary Anne Kent, aged 20, born Cambridge, a Tailor by trade, resident with his parents at 167 Gwydir Street, Cambridge. No known grave. Commemorated on THIEPVAL MEMORIAL, Somme, France. Pier and Face 11 A.

Return to History of Gwydir Street

Return to Homepage