In 1887, No 186 was bought by David Parr, a working-class Victorian 'artist-painter' who worked for the Cambridge decorative arts company F R Leach & Sons, known for their work locally on Queens' Old Hall, Jesus College Chapel, All Saints' Church and nationally with architects and designers Bodley, Kempe and William Morris. Over 40 years, David Parr decorated his home in the style of the grand interiors of the Victorian Gothic Revival churches and Arts & Crafts houses he worked on every day. His intricately patterned, hand-painted walls survive throughout much of the house.
The David Parr House Charity aims to renovate and conserve the house, and eventually provide public access to it. See the David Parr House website for more details.
Return to History of Gwydir Street
Return to Homepage