There are different types of macaroons. There are the traditional ones, on rice paper with an almond on top. There are the modern ones, brightly coloured, with fillings, and very smooth. And there are mine...
1 egg white
silicon baking sheet
time in oven: 20 mins
beat egg white
fild in rest of ingredients
- . Use the egg yolk for something else! (Or throw it away.) Beat the egg white. Fold in the sugar and ground almonds using a spoon - it's not too fussy.
- This can stick, so it's best to use a silicon baking sheet. Traditionally it was put on edible rice paper! Put balls of the mixture on the sheet.
- Put the sheet in the oven. This needs to cook for about 20 minutes, until brown.
- After cooking, use a knife to get them off the sheet. I turned them upside down to dry off a bit.
- When I made these, I used ground almonds which were quite coarse. The end result reminds me more of coconut macaroons. Nice though! Other recipes seem to use a hotter oven for less time. They also used more sugar then this, plus other ingredients, such as corn flour or rice flour. I found this to be fine, and I certainly wouldn't want more sugar! They were quite sweet.
© Jo Edkins 2017 -