A modern elaboration of old-fashioned shortbread.
a tin of condensed milk caramel ()
square baking tin
baking paper (optional)
time in oven: 45 mins
rub fat into flour
cool cooked shortbread
add caramel and cool
melt chocolate and add
cool until set
First make the shortbread.
- Measure out the and sugar, and then .
There is a lot of fat in this recipe, so when it is rubbed in, you will be able to squeeze it into lumps with your hand, without adding any liquid.
Line baking tin with baking paper (optional).
Put the dough into the baking tin. Push it well down and flatten it, so that all the crumbs disappear into the dough. Prick it all over with a fork.
- Put the tin in the oven. This needs to cook for about 45 minutes, until brown.
- Cool it. This is now shortbread, and if you want, you can eat it like this!
Now for the extra layers.
- Cool the shortbread. Pour the on top (this is a specific ingredient, so if you can't find it, don't do this recipe). Cool again.
- Put some water in the saucepan and put a bowl in the water (wash up the shortbread bowl if you've run out of bowls!) Don't put too much water in; it should reach about half way up. Break up the milk chocolate and put it in the bowl. Heat the saucepan until the chocolate melts.
- Pour the chocolate over the caramel layer and carefully spread it. Cool.
- When set, cut into squares.
© Jo Edkins 2010 -