Toad in the hole
"Toad in the hole" is the unlovely name the British give to sausages cooked in a pan of batter.
oil for frying
time in oven: 15 mins + up to 30 mins
- The number of sausages depends on how many you want to eat! Cut them into chunks. PUt them in the oven pan with a little amount of oil. Put in the oven and cook for 15 mins.
- Weigh the into the bowl. Break the egg in as well. Stir it all a bit with the fork. Add the milk slowly, stirring with the fork. This is a very runny mixture called a batter.
- Take the cooked sausages out of the oven (carefully!) Pour the batter round the sausages. The batter shouldn't be too deep, or too shallow, so you may need to choose the right sized pan. If there's too much batter, keep some of it back. It can be used for pancakes!
- Cook for up to 30 mins until the batter is risen and cooked, and the sausages nice and brown.
- This can be a bit dry. It can also be greasy. Don't use too much oil when cooking the sausages! To help with the dryness, eat it with mushy peas.
- Onion gravy is nice. Cook and fry an oinion. Add 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, some vegetable stock and a little water (not too much because there's no thichening).
© Jo Edkins 2007 -